Friday, June 20, 2008

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

Yeats has outdone himself in "The Second Coming." He tells of the return of Christ to Earth for the second time. This poem illustrates what I have always thought Judgement Day would be. things fall apart; the centere cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world," (pg 1122, lines 3-4). This quote shows that Yeats believes that there would be total chaos in the world when Christ returns. Many people try to ignore the thought of Judgement Day, but Yeats has put this fear aside and created a poem dedicated to Christ's great return.

I am a Christian woman. not only do I believe in God and Jesus Christ, but I also believe that Jesus will return again. The second coming of Jesus Christ will be exactly as Yeats described, but that is just my opinion. Yeats writes, "Surely some revelation is at hand; Surely the Second Coming is at hand." (pg 1122, lines 9-10). I Completely agree! The day may not have come yet, but it is definitely well on its way. One day, Jesus will return for his "Second Coming," and when that day comes, I hope all of mankind is prepared.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Mishawn,

Good comments on the poem, but note that the second coming here is not of Jesus, but of paganism--that "rough beast" what is "slouching towards Bethlehem" is not really fitting to describe Jesus, is it? Yeats thought time moved in 2000 year cycles, and that signs pointed to the end of the reign of Christ and love, and the return for 2000 years of paganism and brutality. Be sure to pay attention when you are interpreting a poem to the phrases that might complicate (or, in this case, even overturn) your initial interpretation.

Heather said...

I did not write on this poem, but I enjoyed your interpretation. I have many of the same views as you on Judgement Day. Dr. Glance, I did not realize this work was about the return of paganism. As I go back and read it does make sense and some of the descriptions are much more fitting for this return rather than the return of Christ.

Jessica R said...

I also didn't know that this was not about Christianity. It's ironic that so many people appear to agree with it under a Christian interpretation, but when we realize it's not even about that it's harder to agree.
This changes my whole view of Yeats.