Friday, June 20, 2008

Alfred, Lord Tennyson - Tears, Idle Tears

I'm not sure why, but this poem instills a sense of depression in me. The talk of death and that which is no more is somewhat depressing. Tennyson's poem also speaks of crying. Anytime tears are brought into the picture, I get sad and begin to wonder why the individual is so down. In this case, I believe that the poem tells of someone that has lost a dear friend or significant other. Tennyson writes, "Fresh as the first beam glittering on a sail; That brings our friends up from the underworld," (pg 597, lines 6-7). This makes me believe that the individual has lost a dear friend and is reflecting on the times they once shared.

When I first read, "In looking on the happy Autumn-fields; And thinking of the days that are no more," (pg 597, lines 4-5), it made me think back to the days that I spent mourning one of my closest friends that had recently passed away. Although I got emotional due to this, I really fell in love with the poem when I read the second stanza. Tennyson wrote, "Sad as the last which reddens over one; That sinks with all we love below the verge; So sad, so fresh, the days that are no more." (pg 597, lines 8-10). I was speechless! The feelings that I had once possessed when my dear friend died had come rushing back! That seemed to say, "Oh, it was as if it had just happened yesterday." I could feel the emotion in the poem as if I had written it myself. The individual seemed to be deeply missing a friend and just couldn't fight the tears when the memories had come rushing back. I give this poem two thumbs up and five stars, mainly because I could literally feel the emotion of the individual in the poem within myself.

4 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Mishawn,

You have a very poignant, emotional response to Tennyson's poem which demonstrates a deep engagement with the text. I admire your willingness to put your own experiences so starkly into the post.

Heather said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I thought both your writings and Tennyson's were very relateable. I think anyone who has ever lost someone was able to relate to this week. I appreciated how you were so willing to share your personal experiences...it really caught my attention and made me want to keep reading.

... said...

This is one of my favorite poems by Tennyson. Like you, it reminded me of when I lost a loved one. Those feelings of wanting and yearning for the days he was here compelled me to finish reading the entire poem. I agree with Dr. Glance, thank you for being brave enough to share your lose and how it helped you interprete the poem.

Stacey said...

Mishawn,
Your post was so personal. Loss is painful, but when Tennyson notes the "first beam glittering on a sail", I think it is the awakening to recovery and new day. Stay strong.