Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Elizabeth Barrett Browning - Sonnets from the Portuguese

Initially, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's sonnets were confusing, but they got simpler as I read on. On thing that is certain about Browning's sonnets is the subject. All of Browning's sonnets were based on love. It is said that Elizabeth wrote these love poems to her future husband as their relationship developed. I think that writing the love of your life poetry is the most romantic thing that can be done between a couple. Being able to put your love for someone in words is a very difficult task to accomplish, but to be able to do so successfully is mind blowing. My favorite sonnet written by Browning is Sonnet 43 from Sonnets from the Portuguese. In Sonnet 43, Elizabeth Browning describes how deep her love is for her significant other.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and bredth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
(pg 532, lines 1-4)

In my eyes, Browning was shocasing her undying love for her man. She was pledging to love him forever with all of her. She pledged to love him with her mind, her body, and her soul. This poem has shown me just how beautiful love can be. To attempt to describe how deep her love for her husband was in words is simply beautiful. I noticed that she vowed to not only love him for life, but also after death in the last line of the poem. Browning wrote, "I shall but love thee better after death;" (pg 532, line 14). Robert Browning, in my opinion, is a very lucky man to have found someone that loves him so deeply. For true, undying love is hard to come by and he has found a woman that is not afraid to show it.

2 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Mishawn,

Nice commentary on Barrett Browning's Sonnet 43. You effectively select and discuss quotations from the poem, and show a thoughtful consideration of the poem.

LindsayAnn said...

I agree that writing love poems to one another is a very romantic thing to do in a relationship. It is thought that she was writing these sonnets to Robert Browning, who even though she was an invilid he was in awe of her. He in return was also writing her poems. I would love you have someone write me a poem that express such deep love and respect,what's wrong with the men today? You did a great job on this post!