Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Samuel Taylor Coleridge - Epitaph

Coleridge's epitaph is extremely easy to understand. He was obviously awar of the fact that his life would soon come to an end and he was asking God for forgiveness. He asked for all Christians that pass by his tomb to stop, read, and give one prayer for him. Farther into the epitaph, Coleridge wrote, "That he who many a year with toil of breath; Found death in life, may here find life in death!" (pg 350, lines 5-6). I gathered from this statement that he was a sick man, if not throughout life, then towards the end of his life. These lines alone make me a bit sympathetic for Coleridge, hoping that he did not die in pain. Reading his epitaph made me want to stop and give him the one prayer that he asked for.

To conclude his epitaph, Coleridge wrote, "Mercy for praise--to be forgiven for fame; He asked and hoped, through Christ. Do thou the same!" (pg 350, lines 7-8). I have a good idea of what Coleridge may mean in these lines, but I am not 100 percent certain. If I was given an opportunity to ask Coleridge two questions, I would begin by asking him if he was asking Christ to forgive him or if he was asking the world to forgive him. My second question would be, "From what do you seek forgiveness?" I believe that Coleridge was asking God for forgiveness, forgiveness for all of his sins. I feel strongly about this, but of course I could be wrong.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

MIshawn,

It is interesting to see you wrestle with this brief text by this complex author. I think one biographical detail you should factor in to your discussion is that Coleridge was addicted to opium for much of his life, and he never was able fully to kick the addiction.

By the way, please be sure to proofread your posts for spelling and grammar before you click the button to publish them. I have noticed some errors in the last several posts.